Pages #8: When Historical
Pages is a bilingual -English and Farsi- magazine that aims to function as a platform for exchange, dialogues and projects: a place for collaboration between artists and writers from Iran and elsewhere. The magazine’s interest lies in the socio-political flows within spaces of urban and everyday life.
The diversity of contributions expand and even transgress the geographically bound subjects and subjectivities, as they often develop, return, change and interact with one another from one issue of Pages to the other. It emphasizes on localities and it is the intricacy and dissonances within local currents that give way to chains of meanings, relations, differences and exchange.
Pages is a project initiated by Nasrin Tabatabai and Babak Afrassiabi, both artists living in Rotterdam. However, activities regarding the magazine are organized from both Rotterdam and Tehran, platforms from which all communications and exchanges take shape and place.
In Issue #8:
What determines our place in history? If it is the past, there we also find the material support with which we reconstitute our historical place. Our relation to history remains retrospective, but also anticipatory.
Events begin with a break from history. But they soon are recaptured by it and fetishized as historical triumphs or failures. Still something remains of past events that, although conditioned by history, is irreducible to it: a surplus that finds way to our time, something out of time that forces us to actively anticipate a renewing in past events.
With contributions by:
- Dariush Moaven Doust / Machinic Life
- Alireza Rasoulinejad & Saleh Najafi / Minor/Major [conversation]
- Norman Klein / Imaginary Future and the Archive [interview]
- Gerald Raunig & Roberto Nigro / Molecular Revolution and Event
- Saleh Najafi / Hope Against Hope
- Sven Augustijnen / Coincidences of History: Reflections on E’mile Meurice’s ‘Sketch for a psychologial study of Leopold II’
- Jalil Ziapour, Houshang Irani, Gholam Hossein Gharib / Excerpt from Khoroos Jangi magazine, 1949-50
- Performance in Iran [conversation] with Neda Razavipour, Jinoos Taghizadeh, Shahab Fotouhi, Bavand Behpour, Amir Mobed and Mahmoud Bakhshi
English / Farsi
Graphic Design by LUST